Submitted to BFRO by witness on Monday, September 14, 2009.
Woman recalls afternoon sighting near the outskirts of Marion
COUNTY: Grant County
LOCATION DETAILS: it was in woods at the end of 12th street that is no longer there
NEAREST TOWN: Marion, IN
NEAREST ROAD: 12th street
OBSERVED: When I was a little girl, before I’d heard of Bigfoot, I saw in a small woods down from our house what I called a big white hairy thing. It was in the mid seventies….in INDIANA. I’ve never reported it to anyone other than my family who were witness to my subsequent hysteria. The big white hairy thing was a beige white color with a cone head sloping back from its brow ridge. Short hair over its entire visible body except for its hands and face longer hair like a cloak over its shoulders. It was June or July…summer time…it’s face was brown like leather its eyes piercing black …a broad flat nose… it was eating blackberries from the bushes…it must have felt me looking at him because it turned to look at me and when it saw I saw him he took two large steps into the wood and disappeared. That’s when I screamed. Being only a small child no one really believed me or tried to tell me it must have been someone in a coat. I’ve never forgotten it. He didn’t seem menacing at all but it really freaked my little self out.
OTHER WITNESSES: I was the only one who saw it the other kids were playing ball in the road in front of our house
TIME AND CONDITIONS: afternoon…broad daylight
ENVIRONMENT: grassland very high…bordering a small woods
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Rachel Luffman:
I spoke with the witness over the phone and found her to be very credible. She added the following details:
– She was nine years old at the time, and what she saw made a lasting impression.
– She was able to observe the Bigfoot for about two minutes from around 70 feet away. It was stooped over, holding onto a blackberry bush with one hand, and picking berries off with the other.
– It was standing at the edge of the woods in tall grass. The grass was about four feet high. She estimates the height of the creature to have been seven to eight feet tall.
– The head seemed to rest directly on the shoulders, with no visible neck.
– The shoulders and torso were wide. It was muscular and she could see the muscles moving when it walked into the woods.
– Overall appearance was clean. The hair was long on the shoulders and head; it moved when the creature moved. The hair on its head made it look like it was wearing a hood.
– Color of the skin was a camel brown. The face and hands did not have a lot of hair. There was hair on the lower face; like a beard.
– The eyes were black and seemed small.
– The cheekbones were wide and the brow prominent. The nose was like an Aborigine’s. The face was flat, with not much of a chin.
– When the Bigfoot looked at her, its expression was not aggressive or even surprised. It just turned and left.