Submitted to BFRO by witness on Saturday, December 10, 2005.
Hunter has daylight sighting near Nineveh
COUNTY: Johnson County
LOCATION DETAILS: [edited out by request]
NEAREST TOWN: Nineveh
NEAREST ROAD: Old Nineveh Road
OBSERVED: A friend of mine cornered me late one day and told me a strange tale. He was going to shoot a rifle that he owns and he said he smelled something dead or rotten. He thought maybe someone had killed a deer or another critter. As he proceeded to walk through the woods, he said he saw a huge animal hunkered staring at him. He said the shoulders were massive. His rifle was loaded, but he felt he didn’t have a big enough gun (.223 cal.) They stared at each other for a few seconds, but my friend turned to the right and proceeded forward to get away from the “MONSTER” (his word). He said it bolted in the same direction as he did and ran past him in a second and a half. I said was it a bear? He said no. Was it on two legs or four? He said two. It broke tree branches as it ran thru the trees and brush. He was so scared that he did not return to the woods for 8 or 9 months, and when he did, it was with a loaded 12 gauge shotgun loaded with deer slugs.
The first person he told was his wife and she laughed at him. I listened to his story and did not laugh at him because he was so serious. I will say this; he didn’t know about the Bigfoot sites or even mention the name Bigfoot during the telling of this tale. One other thing, he was carrying a bag of apples, he felt later that the MONSTER was after that. That part of the story I know is true. I saw the bag!
I read your reports, and can tell you I don’t know whether to believe them or not. I think my friend saw something strange and was scared. He warned me not to go into those woods any more. I said Bigfoot didn’t eat you so he won’t eat me.
He said he wanted to post a sign next to the woods that said “MONSTER IN THE WOODS”, but I said no because I didn’t need every guy in Indy with a 300 magnum chasing a myth or legend. I said if you did see a Bigfoot, your one lucky guy! This is the truth. No hoax. Thanks
ALSO NOTICED: I have seen broken branches 10 to 12 feet up on young strong trees. Twisted is the word. I have heard whoops and strange animal sounds. But it is the forest!
OTHER WITNESSES: One
OTHER STORIES: Yes, but will report them later.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: 10 a.m.
ENVIRONMENT: Wooded and mixed with farm fields, small hills and ravines.
Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Stan Courtney:
I spoke with both the main witness and the person who submitted the report and can add the following information:
• The witness said the animal was a female because he could see large breasts.
• He stated the animal was at least 9 feet tall and weighed 800 pounds. He was adamant about how huge the animal was.
• The animal was very stocky and fit looking.
• Its hair was blackish gray and about 2 inches long. The hair was not matted at all.
• Its neck appeared very thick and the arms did seem somewhat longer than a human’s.
• The closest he was to the animal was 20 feet.
• He could not see the face until the animal was several hundred feet away and he could not make out any facial details.
• The person who submitted the report hunts in the same woods and has heard what he considered to be whooping sounds at about half a mile away.